Sunday, February 14, 2010

Beauty Of The Ages



I had an usual pair of shooting opportunities this weekend - unusal in that they represented opposite ends of the spectrum of American womanhood.

First up was Cara, a 20-something collge student and aspiring musical theater actress. She is also the daughter of a good friend of mine and I've known her since she was 8 or 9 years old. I was struck by that fact while shooting about 100 frames of her on a chilly Saturday morning.

She needs some 8 X 10 black and whites for a couple of scholarship auditions she has coming up and this is one of the shots she chose.



On the next day, I shot portraits of 24 widows in our church. Every year at Valentines Day, a group of men in the church host a Valentines Day banquet for the widows in our congregation. In addition to the usual gift of flowers and candy, I suggested this year we also shoot a nice portrait of each of the ladies in attendance.

I set up a makeshift studio in an open area of the church, and each of the ladies dropped by and sat for a picture. There's something about the character in the face of this lovely saint that just really captivated me when I first saw it come up on the monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment