Friday, January 1, 2010

Shooting The In-laws



These are my son's in-laws. I couldn't resist the play on words in the title. We actually have a great relationship with them. Stephanie's (my daughter-in-law, far right) parents live here in the same town with us. Her sisters and their families live in Georgia and Texas, respectively.

Their entire clan was home for Christmas and so I suggested a family photo shoot while they were all together. In addition to this group shot, I also got a couple of different settings with each of the individual families and various combinations of grandparents and cousins.



Although I'm getting pretty comfortable shooting small groups up to 3 or 4 people, bigger groups are still a challenge, mainly because small speedlight-type flashes tend to be a little underpowered for this, especially when they are mounted in a light modifier like an umbrella.

In the group shot I have two flashes set up, right and left of the camera, both in shoot through umbrellas. My main goal was just to get even lighting left to right and front to back. I had to slightly lighten a couple of facial shadows in Photoshop but overall I was very pleased with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment