Friday, June 5, 2009

My First Real Gig



After the pictures I took of my new grandson Hudson had made the rounds to my wife's friends and co-workers, one of them asked if I would shoot her and her daughter. Sandra is a single mom from Columbia. I was happy to do this shoot for her at no cost just so I could get some experience with outdoor portraiture, which is a new area of photography for me and one I am really developing a keen interest in.

I had a great time shooting Sandra and her daughter Melissa and learned a ton in the process.

One of the techniques I learned from The Strobist blog was using flash to shoot against the glow of the setting sun. This shot of Melissa is one of my all time favorites. Several people have said she looks like she's standing in front of a painted backdrop.



These are just a small sample of a couple hundred frames we shot that day in various areas around a local waterfront park.

And adding to the day...

We had an unexpected bonus shooting opportunity this day as well. A young lady whom I'd never met before accompanied Sandra on the shoot. Lindsey was just a friend along to accompany Sandra and Melissa for the day. She was a great help during the shooting session, pitching in to help move equipment, hold light stands in the wind, coach mom and daughter in posing, etc.

During the course of conversation I learned that Lindsey's husband is in the Air Force and deployed to Iraq. So we decided right there on the spot to include her in the shoot so she could have some nice pictures to send to her husband in the desert.



Lindsey proved to be a natural in front of the camera, requiring absolutely no coaching to strike several attractive poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment